Answer the following questions
- What does Eric say halfway down page 50 that shows his anger towards Mrs Birling?
- What do the Birling’s learn about Eric?
- What does Eric suggest that he has done to Eva? (Page 52)
- With close mention to Eric’s attitude towards Eva, discuss the relationship between wealthy young men and working-class women.
- What is revealed about Eric and Mr Birling’s relationship on page 54?
- Explain what Priestley’s use of punctuation on page 55 tells us of Eric’s distress.
- How does the relationship between Mrs Birling and Eric change over the last Act.
- In the second act and what does Priestley do to contrast Eva’s behaviour with that of Arthur Birling and Gerald Croft’s?
- Discuss the change in Sheila and Gerald’s relationship in Act Two.
- Consider Mr and Mrs Birling’s reaction to learning that Gerald has been involved with another woman.
- Discuss why you think Sheila wants her relationship to work with Gerald.